Strabismus Treatment in Iran
Strabismus is a visual problem in which the eyes are not aligned properly and point in different directions. It is one of the most common eye problems in children. In this eye disorder, one or both eyes may deviate inward, outward, upward, or downward. It is likely to exist more than one of these eye movement disorders at the same time in a child. The other name of this disease is “Squint “or ” crossed eyes”.
At what age does strabismus usually develop: From birth to 6 years of age
Strabismus treatment for children is performed on the basis of the following criteria:
• The child’s age, general health, and medical history
• The child’s tolerance for specific treatments
• The cause of strabismus
• The type of strabismus and its severity
Note: Treatment may include one or more of the following:
• Eyeglasses or prism glasses
• Eye drops
• Eye exercises
• Using the eye patching on one or both eyes alternately; (If the patient suffers from lazy eye too, this method helps to correct it too.)
• Surgery: If the ophthalmologist diagnoses that other treatments are not successful, surgery will be the safest and most effective treatment for strabismus.
Duration of Your Stay in Iran Up to 3 days after surgery
A strabismus surgery cost in Iran is approximately $1,600 for two muscles and $1800 for three muscles.
You should undergo a thorough clinical examination.
Wash your eyes and eyelids.
Avoid eating and drinking for 8 hours before surgery.
Monitoring must continue until you have recovered from the effects of anesthesia.
• Rest at home for at least 2 days.
• Avoid activities in which the eye may be poked, rubbed or touched.
• Take the pain relief medications that your ophthalmologist has prescribed.
• Avoid swimming for at least two weeks.